Sunday 14 August 2011

Time with Mum

So sorry for my silence over the past couple of weeks.  The main reason for this is that Mum came out to spend 10 days with me to follow me around at work and generally get a feel for my life here. You can describe your life all you like to people back home but until someone has actually been here and experienced it they can't really get an accurate picture.  It was great to have Mum here, if a little surreal to have her in my life which is so separate from home.


We certainly had a crazy few days in which Mum experienced the highs and lows of my work, the driving up and down hills and through rivers and all the things in between.  We spent Saturday of the weekend walking to some waterfalls (in torrential rain) which I visited earlier in the year.  At that point they were a gentle cascade which feet could be dipped into.  But now due to rainy season they are a swollen torrent which we could not get near.  Not surprisingly Mum spent a lot of time looking at and taking pictures of the huge variety of plant life!  On the Sunday we went to the beach and enjoyed a rare few hours of sun (see below).  We seemed to spend much of our time together chatting and drinking coffee.
I think that Mum was overwhelmed by the vibrancy and craziness of Freetown but I know that she was impacted by all she saw and experienced and it was great to be able to share that with her.  


Thank you Mum and Granny for the coffee and all the bits and pieces from home!


At the beach




Out and about on patient visits

No comments:

Post a Comment