Sunday 31 July 2011

Questioning witchcraft

Where we in the West scoff at religion and spirituality, here in Sierra Leone (and most of Africa) the belief in the spiritual pervades almost every life.  I'm not talking about mainstream religions of Christianity and Islam which are very present but the belief in traditional medicine and, most worryingly, witchcraft.  In a country where there are only 2 paediatricians and 4 gynaecologists for over 5 million people and health care that is beyond what most people can afford to pay many turn to traditional medicine to attempt to cure all manner of ailments.  And the problem is these 'healers' never say no.  I have come across so many people who have spent money on 'treatments' for cancer which often end up causing infection or exacerbating the wound.  Sometimes, in the case of acute illness, treatment can hasten death.  There is a very fine line between re educating people that these treatments will not work (especially on cancer) but not belittling the beliefs that have pervaded society for so long.  These healers are widespread, easily accessible and provide a service which most people can afford.  As a result, many people put their faith in them.  Many, many people believe in their healing powers from the poorest villager right up to people in government.


Traditional healers aside, the lack of health education, awareness and effective treatment mean that so many of the population do not have any understanding of medical conditions.  This leads to fear and from this fear comes accusations of witchcraft.  Stories of witchcraft and curses abound in everyday conversation.  If you stop and ask any person on the street they will more than likely have a story about how a witch made a relative sick by putting a curse on them.  If a person has a sickness which cannot be cured with (the limited) medicine available, if someone has had misfortune with their crops, a bad marriage or a sudden death in the family it is blamed on witchcraft.  I have recently taken on the care of a young girl who has been accused of being a witch because she has a very aggressive, fast growing tumour on her face.  She was accused of causing the death of a boy in her area who died after being bitten by a snake.  She has been threatened with death, abused and mistreated.    


It is so difficult for us to understand this.  But sadly it is part of normal life.  Even though I struggle with believing things that I hear I don't actually disagree with them.  My translator, Esther, has helped me so much to understand traditional practices.  She is so wise but is not caught up in so much of the sensationalism that surrounds accusations of witchcraft.  This has been such a blessing.  


I believe that there are spiritual powers out there which we do not understand and with this power comes an unnecessary fear.  Many times whilst getting involved with this girl I was afraid.  Afraid of what forces were behind this, of what I would be exposed to.  But many times I have been bought back to the spiritual armour in Ephesians 6:10-18.  Who am I to fear these things when God is my protector, my shield?  His power is so much greater than anything else that is thrown at me.  I have recently been doing a bible study series by Beth Moore on the fruit of the spirit called Living Beyond Yourself.  As I was struggling last week, I was reading a section on faith.  In it she is talking about using our 'shield of faith':   
   
'God designed our faith to be exactly the same kind of protector (as a shield).  When we are convinced that God is believable and we respond to Him in faith, practically nothing can get through us.  But when out faith diminishes, our shield begins to drop, and we are immediately vulnerable to the enemy.'


We can be attacked on so many sides, especially by things we do not understand.  I am determined to respect this culture, as bizarre as it seems to me.  But with that respect also comes a knowledge that I am protected by the greatest power of them all and that I need not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment