Wednesday 29 June 2011

Two Celebrations

I have found myself in the midst of two causes for celebration this week.  
For the last 3 Tuesday nights, myself and my team - The Procrastinators (don't ask how we came up with the name) - have taken part in the Africa Mercy Quiz.  Each week our points were added up and the winner of the week announced.  Last night, after some stiff competition, all the scores were totted up and the overall winner crowned.  Our team came a hugely respectable second out of about 15 teams.  We are still not sure how we did it but suffice it to say, following on the Molyneux family quiz legacy, I hope Dad will be proud!  


Below are the top 3 teams, 1st place at the top, us in the middle and third place at the bottom (with the two amazing quizmasters, Jay and Cyle to the right).  And yes, we were the only team not in fancy dress!




Our second celebration was the birthday of one of my patients, Madeline.  She is 83, speaks perfect English and is quite the character.  We decided we needed to celebrate so we made her a cake and sang Happy Birthday as we arrived at her house.  I'm not sure what she thought of the crazy English people turning up with a cake, especially as we found out afterwards that it is not traditional here to have cake on your birthday.  The cake was duly cut and handed round and very politely eaten.  However I did catch her friend slipping back her slice.  It's definitely a lesson learned that maybe we should check the cultural nicities before jumping in head first.  I think it's apt to say that this time round, the thought certainly counts!
Below with Madeline (to my left) Dee, Esther and Madeleine's family.



No comments:

Post a Comment